Sunday, May 10, 2020
Observed annually on May 10, it is National Shrimp Day. Americans eat more shrimp than any other seafood, and this is the day to celebrate this delicious seafood.
The word “prawn” is used loosely to describe any large shrimp, sometimes known as “jumbo shrimp.” Some countries use the word “prawn” exclusively for all shrimp.
Preparing the shrimp for consumption usually involves the removal of the head, shell, tail and “sand vein”. There are many ways to cook shrimp. Standard methods of preparation include baking, boiling, broiling, sauteing, frying and grilling. Cooking time is delicate for shrimp, and they are at their best when not overcooked.
A healthy food, shrimp is low in calories and high in levels of omega-3, calcium, iodine, and protein. Shrimp is also known to be considered good for the circulatory system.
Popular North America Shrimp Dishes:
• Seafood Gumbo: A stew or soup that probably originated in southern Louisiana during the 18th century. Seafood gumbo typically consists of a strongly flavored stock, shrimp and crab meat (sometimes oysters), a thickener, and seasoning vegetables. Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used: okra, the Choctaw spice, file powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves), or roux, the French base made of flour and fat.
• Shrimp Cocktail: The Golden Gate was the first to serve this .50 cent shrimp cocktail in 1959. It is now a Las Vegas cliché. Called the “Original Shrimp Cocktail” on the menu, it is a favorite among tourists as well as the locals. The original Shrimp Cocktail consists of a regular-sized sundae glass filled with small salad shrimp and topped with a dollop of cocktail sauce.
• Shrimp DeJonghe: A specialty of Chicago, it is a casserole of whole, peeled shrimp blanketed in soft, garlic, sherry-laced bread crumbs. It is served as an appetizer or a main course. It originated in the late 19th or early 20th century at the DeJonghe’s Hotel and Restaurant.
• Shrimp Scampi: This dish has its own day on April 29 and is cooked in butter, garlic, lemon juice and white wine.
Shrimp and other shellfish are among the most common of food allergens.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Celebrate this fantastic food day by making your favorite shrimp dish. Need some ideas? As Bubba Blue from the movie, Forest Gump would say, “Shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi, fried shrimp, broiled shrimp, spicy shrimp…” Share your favorite shrimp dish using #NationalShrimpDay.
Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of National Shrimp Day.
You won’t believe how easy this is to make, and it’s so much cheaper and tastier to make it right at home!
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine Panko* bread crumbs and shredded coconut; set aside.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper, to taste. Working one at a time, dredge shrimp in the flour, dip into the eggs, then dredge in the coconut mixture, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add shrimp to the Dutch oven and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with sweet chili sauce, if desired.
6 Tricks That Make Men Insanely Attractive
|Photo by Daniel Xavier from Pexels|
How to become better at dating.
NO ADDED JAB
FDA Panel Votes No on Pfizer COVID Boosters for Those Under 65
It’s almost inevitable. Kids behaving badly in public and moms wanting to hide under a rock.
It happens to the best of moms!
So what’s a mom to do when her child begins to behave badly in public? How can a mom teach her children to behave themselves?
Saturday, May 9, 2020
National Butterscotch Brownie Day is observed annually on May 9.
BSYI (Beautiful Skin Your In) Reader Asks:
"HOW DO YOU RE-APPLY SUNSCREEN THROUGHOUT THE DAY?"
"I have mild but persistent acne. I work in construction outside and need to apply sunscreen throughout the day. But I don't want to apply it with dirty fingers or on top of dried perspiration? Unless that doesn't matter?"
"How do you reapply your spf while avoiding clogging pores?"
Reach for one of these healthy ingredients the next time your head is pounding.
When a headache strikes, you may run through your usual routine: Turn out the lights, lie down and pop a pain pill. But did you know that certain foods may ease, and even prevent, headaches? Add these soothing foods to your shopping list and find out for yourself.