This particular whisky first and foremost must be made in Scotland. It must be fermented from malted barley, aged in oak barrels for at least three years and have an ABV of less than 94.8%. While most Scotch is made with barley, water and yeast, other grains can be included, but no fermentation additives, per law.
There are five distinct categories of Scotch whisky including single malt Scotch, single grain Scotch, blended malt Scotch, blended grain Scotch and blended Scotch.
Five Food Finds about Scotch:
• Single Malt Scotch Whisky is made from 100% malted barley and distilled at a single distillery.
• Blended Scotch Whisky is made by blending together a number of single malts and grain whiskies.
• 90% of all Scotch whisky sold in the market comprises of Blended Scotch Whisky.
• The whisky in ‘Scotch Whisky’ is always spelt without an ‘e’..
• In Britain, the term ‘whisky’ is taken to mean Scotch whisky only, unless it has been specified otherwise.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Enjoy some scotch with friends. (Remember always to drink responsibly and never to drink and drive) Post on social media using #NationalScotchDay.
Within our research, we were unable to identify the origin of National Scotch Day.
Prep Cook Ready In
20 m 25 m 45 m
• 1 quart oil for frying
• 4 eggs
• 2 pounds pork sausage
• 4 cups dried bread crumbs, seasoned
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 4 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Place eggs in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs sit in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
3. Flatten the sausage and make a patty to surround each egg. Very lightly flour the sausage and coat with beaten egg. Roll in bread crumbs to cover evenly.
4. Deep fry until golden brown, or pan fry while making sure each side is well cooked. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
5. Cut in half and serve over a bed of lettuce and sliced tomatoes for garnish. If mustard is desired it looks beautiful over this.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Wednesday, July 14, 2021
National Grand Marnier Day is observed annually on July 14th. An 1880s French invention by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, Grand Marnier adds a splash of orange liquor to mix drinks or desserts. Also enjoyed neat, this cognac concoction blended one of the most expensive fruits of the time with a strong spirit. The result was truly grand.
Tuesday, June 30, 2020
June 30th is National Mai Tai Day and I can’t think of a better reason for a drink! According to legend, Victor Bergeron, aka “Trader Vic“, tested this drink on two friends from Tahiti in 1944. When they tasted it, one of them said “Mai Tai-Roa Aé”, which means “‘Out of this world, the best!” in Tahitian. Thus the name was born.