Monday, August 16, 2021
National Rum Day is observed annually on August 16. Rum is a distilled clear alcoholic beverage which is a byproduct of molasses production or made directly from sugar cane juice. After the fermentation and distillation process, most rum is aged in wooden oak barrels. Find a taste of the tropics with the Strawberry Pineapple Cooler recipe listed below.
Followed by the vodka and all the whiskeys combined, rum is the third most popular spirit in the United States. It stirs up images of sandy beaches and brightly colored umbrellas in fruity drinks. And it should. It is a sweet spirit and originated in sunny Papua New Guinea. It made its way to the Caribbean by way of the West Indies.
Five Food Finds about Rum:
• Rum was manufactured, distilled, and made long before any other spirit. It’s history is a vast one filled with stories, and fables. It was the first branded spirit made.
• Rations of rum were given to sailors in the British Army to be mixed with lime juice because it fought off the scurvy.
• When wealthy titles were given to parsons, they were thanked with a glass of rum.
• In Australia, the rum hospital can recognize rum as it as its chief contributor of revenues that were generated via the rum exports they were known for.
• Triangular trade was introduced as slaves were traded for rum, sugars, and other items that were all carrying missionaries- this was known as ‘rum and bible.’
Strawberry Pineapple Cooler
5 m 6
• Strawberry Daiquiri Mix • ¾ cup pineapple rum • 1 cup water • 4 cups ice
1. Remove small rimmer pouch from bag; pour onto a plate. 2. Lightly wet edge of glasses; dip into rimmer. 3. Combine mix, rum and water in blender; blend until dissolved (about 30 seconds). 4. Add ice; blend until smooth. 5. Pour into glasses and serve.
Wednesday, July 14, 2021
National Grand Marnier Day is observed annually on July 14th. An 1880s French invention by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, Grand Marnier adds a splash of orange liquor to mix drinks or desserts. Also enjoyed neat, this cognac concoction blended one of the most expensive fruits of the time with a strong spirit. The result was truly grand.