Tuesday, August 24, 2021
National Peach Pie Day is observed annually on August 24th. We celebrate this mouth-watering dessert during the heart of the Peach harvest season. Don’t forget the à la mode! Find a taste of the South with the Country Peach Pie recipe listed below.
The state of Georgia has been known as the center of peach growers; therefore, Georgia is known as the “Peach State”. Peach harvest occurs between June and August, and harvest from each peach tree lasts about one week. There are two main varieties of peaches: Clingstone and Freestone, and usually a medium peach weighs 2.6 oz. A medium peach typically contains 30 calories, 7 g of carbohydrate, 1 g of protein, 140 mg of potassium, and 8% of the daily value for vitamin C.
Five Food Finds about Peaches:
• Did you know? Peaches were once known as Persian apples.
• “You’re a real peach” originated from the tradition of giving a peach to the friend you liked.
• Peaches were mentioned as early as 79 A.D. in literature.
• Most peaches are cultivated by grafting different combinations of rootstocks to scions; not raised from seed.
• There are over 700 varieties of peaches-some Chinese varieties are even flat like hockey pucks.
Country Peach Pie
Prep Cook Servings
35 m 50 m 6 - 8
• 1/2 cup sugar • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar • 4-1/2 cups sliced peeled peaches • Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches) • 3 tablespoons cornstarch • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon • 1/8 teaspoon salt • 2 teaspoons lemon juice • 1 tablespoon butter
1. In a large bowl, combine sugars; add peaches and toss gently. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Set aside. Drain peaches, reserving juice. 2. In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir in reserved juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter. Gently fold in peaches. Pour into crust. 3. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Friday, August 20, 2021
National Pecan Pie Day is observed each year on July 12. However, if you add some chocolate to this delicious dessert, you can celebrate National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day on August 20. Enjoy and share with your friends and family the delicious Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars recipe listed below.
Wednesday, August 18, 2021
National Ice Cream Pie Day is observed annually on August 18th. This food holiday honors this refreshing frozen dessert that comes in many delicious flavors. Plus enjoy a cool and buzzy ice cream pie for a slow summer day with the Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Pie recipe listed below.
Sunday, August 1, 2021
National Raspberry Cream Pie Day is observed annually on August 1st. This day is in theme with other raspberry holidays in this same time period. Raspberries are most plentiful this time of year. Our recipe for raspberry cream pie is incredibly delicious with it’s buttery graham cracker crust, creamy cream cheese center and luscious raspberry topping. You won’t be able to stop at one piece!
Reach for one of these healthy ingredients the next time your head is pounding.
When a headache strikes, you may run through your usual routine: Turn out the lights, lie down and pop a pain pill. But did you know that certain foods may ease, and even prevent, headaches? Add these soothing foods to your shopping list and find out for yourself.