Thursday, August 18, 2022
National Ice Cream Pie Day is observed annually on August 18th. This food holiday honors this refreshing frozen dessert that comes in many delicious flavors. Plus enjoy a cool and buzzy ice cream pie for a slow summer day with the Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Pie recipe listed below.
Five Food Finds about Ice Cream:
• An average dairy cow can produce enough milk in her lifetime to make a little over 9,000 gallons of ice cream.
• A cow has only 1 stomach with 4 areas where food is digested: the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and the abdomen.
• The udder of a cow can hold between 25-50 lbs. of milk.
• In the U.S., all ice cream needs to have a minimum of 10% milkfat if it is to be labeled “ice cream”. This includes custard based (French Style) ice creams.
• Sorbet, has no milk at all!
Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Pie
Prep Total Servings
30 m 150 m 8
• 1 package (6oz., 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate morsels • 1/4 cup margarine or butter • 2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal or 2 cups Kellogg's® Cocoa Krispies® cereal • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup • 1 quart coffee ice cream
1. In 2-quart saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips and margarine, stirring constantly until well-mixed and smooth. Remove from heat. Reserve 3 tablespoons mixture for topping. 2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal to remaining chocolate mixture. Stir until well-coated. Arrange evenly in bottom and on side of 9-inch pie pan coated with cooking spray to form crust. Chill until firm. 3. Add corn syrup to reserved chocolate mixture, mixing well. Set aside. 4. Spread ice cream in pie shell. Drizzle with reserved chocolate mixture. Freeze about 2 hours or until firm. Before serving set pan on hot wet towel for a few minutes to loosen. Serve frozen.
Wednesday, August 17, 2022
National Vanilla Custard Day is observed annually on August 17. Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk. Every cook should have a good recipe for pastry cream in their repertoire. Rich vanilla pastry cream is the classic filling for cream puffs in the awesome Pastry Cream with Vanilla Custard Filling recipe listed below.