Celebrated on July 25th, this tasty treat has been served since 1906.
A variation to the classic sundae, the hot fudge sundae is a creation of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, nuts (optional) and a single, bright-red maraschino cherry on top.
Five Food Finds about Fudge:
• Fudge is a type of Western confectionery which is usually very sweet, and extremely rich. It is made by mixing sugar, butter, and milk and heating it to the soft-ball stage at 240 °F (116 °C), and then beating the mixture while it cools so that it acquires a smooth, creamy consistency.
• The components of fudge are very similar to the traditional recipe for tablet, which is noted in The Household Book of Lady Grisell Baillie (1692-1733).
• The term “fudge” is often used in the United Kingdom for a softer variant of the tablet recipe.
• American-style fudge (containing chocolate) is found in a letter written by Emelyn Battersby Hartridge, a student at Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York.
• Word of this popular confectionery spread to other women’s colleges. For example, Wellesley and Smith have their own versions of a fudge recipe dating from the late 19th or early 20th century.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Enjoy a Hot Fudge Sundae at your favorite Ice Cream shop. Post on social media using #HotFudgeSundaeDay.
We were unable to find the creator of National Hot Fudge Sundae Day.
Hot Fudge Sundae Dessert Bars
Prep Cook Ready In
1 h 8 m 8 h
1 pound chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed 1/2 cup margarine, melted 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 1/2 cup margarine 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream 1 1/2 cups dry-roasted peanuts
1. Combined crushed cookies and melted margarine and press into a 9x13 inch dish. Chill 1 hour in refrigerator. 2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine confectioners' sugar, evaporated milk, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup margarine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool. 3. Slice vanilla ice cream into 3/4 inch slices, and place them in a single layer over the chilled crust. Smooth the seams. Sprinkle the peanuts over the ice cream. Top with the cooled chocolate sauce. Cover and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
Monday, November 16, 2020
National Fast Food Day is observed annually on November 16. On this day each year, people all across the country celebrate by going through the drive-thru, dining inside or ordering their fast food to go.
Reach for one of these healthy ingredients the next time your head is pounding.
When a headache strikes, you may run through your usual routine: Turn out the lights, lie down and pop a pain pill. But did you know that certain foods may ease, and even prevent, headaches? Add these soothing foods to your shopping list and find out for yourself.
A family beach trip with kids sounds like the perfect summer outing ... in theory. The reality involves packing tons of gear and snacks, struggling to slather squirmy kids in sunscreen, and lots of sand, of course -- getting everywhere from your sandwich to your sandals. There has to be an easier way, right? Turns out, there is!
PHOTOS: RHOBH Reunion Looks Revealed as Physical Fight Rumor Surfaces, Plus Did Garcelle and Lisa Settle Their Drama?
Real Housewives of Beverly Hills viewers are finally getting their first look at the stunning reunion looks of the cast.