Thursday, September 12, 2019
National Chocolate Milkshake Day is observed each year on September 12 by chocolate and ice cream lovers alike. Forget the calories in it for just this one day and enjoy a nice tall, thick and delicious, chocolate milkshake! Or try the new “ice cream” made from bananas Nice Cream Milkshakes recipe listed below.
The first time the term “milkshake” was used in print was in 1885. During this period, milkshake referred to an alcoholic beverage which was an alcoholic drink described as a “sturdy, healthful eggnog type of drink” which was a blend of eggs, whiskey, and other ingredients served both as a tonic and treat at pharmacies.
Five Food Finds about Milkshake
• Milkshakes got their name from being served in bars. If the customer enjoyed the milkshake, he shook hands with the bartender. If not, the bartender didn’t get a tip.
• Malted milk powder was invented in 1897 by James and William Horlick, but it was Ivar Coulson, a soda jerk for a Walgreen’s drug store, who first added it to milkshakes in 1922. This created the malted milkshake or just plain “malt.”
• Steven Poplawski invented the electric blender in 1922 just for milkshakes. Before that, the effort of shaking them up must have required a lot of upper body motion.
• It’d take 3,200,000 average-sized milkshakes to fill up an Olympic-sized pool. How fast do you think Michael Phelps could swim in that?
• Australians can still buy traditional milkshakes in “milk bars,” which are much like old-fashioned drugstores with counter service. They’re usually served still in the steel cup, but may be poured into a paper cup for carry out orders.
Nice Cream Milkshakes
15 min 15 min
For Vanilla Chocolate Chip: • 1 large banana • ½ c. rice or hemp milk • 3 Tbsp. hemp hearts • 2 Tbsp. maple syrup* • 1 tsp. vanilla extract • 1 c. ice • 2 Tbsp. mini chocolate chips
For Double Chocolate: • 1 large banana • ½ c. rice or hemp milk • 3 Tbsp. hemphearts • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder • 2 Tbsp. maple syrup* • 2 Tbsp. Enjoy Life chocolate chips • 1 tsp. vanilla extract • 1 c. ice
For the Glass Decorations, choose from the following: • melted chocolate • sprinkles • mini chocolate chips • mini cookies • dairy free whipped cream • decorative straws • maraschino cherries
1. Coat the top of a glass with melted chocolate and then immediately cover with sprinkles of choice. Using the leftover melted chocolate, "glue" your cookies onto the glass. Freeze for 5 minutes or until the chocolate sets. 2. Place all of the ingredients (except for the chocolate chips if the flavor you desire has chocolate chips in it) into a high-speed blender until smooth and thick. Add more ice if you your milkshake is too thin; add more dairy free milk if your milkshake is way too thick. Adjust sweetness according to your preference. 3. Pour into the prepared cup. 4. Cover with dairy free whipped cream, sprinkles, cherry, cookies (whatever you desire) and serve with a straw.
*Depending on how ripe your banana is and/or how sweet you prefer your milkshakes, you might need to add more or less maple syrup.
Nicki Minaj was spotted out yesterday by BSYI News photographers, for the first time publicly since she announced her pregnancy.
Wednesday, September 11, 2019
A sweet, delicious, spiced bun has its day each year on September 11 as it is National Hot Cross Bun Day. This bun is made with either currants or raisins and marked with a cross that is either made of a doughy paste that’s baked into the bun or an icing added to the top. Don't be shy to try this scrumptious Easy Hot Cross Buns recipe listed below.
Friday, September 6, 2019
If you are a coffee lover and a lover of ice cream, then this is the food holiday you look forward to every year. National Coffee Ice Cream Day is observed annually on September 6th. This creamy and caffeinated ice cream treat is sure to satisfy your taste buds. There are those that are not a fan of cold coffee. However, when it is whipped with cream and sugar, it takes on a magical taste of its own, and in cake form it is to die for try the Coffee Ice Cream Fudge Cake recipe listed below.
Sunday, August 18, 2019
National Ice Cream Pie Day is observed annually on August 18th. This food holiday honors this refreshing frozen dessert that comes in many delicious flavors. Plus enjoy a cool and buzzy ice cream pie for a slow summer day with the Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Pie recipe listed below.
Reach for one of these healthy ingredients the next time your head is pounding.
When a headache strikes, you may run through your usual routine: Turn out the lights, lie down and pop a pain pill. But did you know that certain foods may ease, and even prevent, headaches? Add these soothing foods to your shopping list and find out for yourself.