Thursday, March 16, 2017
March 16th is National Artichoke Hearts Day. According to the California Artichoke Advisory Board, artichokes are a good source of antioxidants, vitamin C, folate and magnesium. The antioxidants in artichokes are very good for your liver and help promote healthy skin. Artichokes are also high in fiber, calcium and protein while low in calories. For all of these reasons, along with being fat-free and cholesterol free, artichokes are truly a healthy and delicious food to celebrate!
• The total antioxidant capacity of an artichoke flower head is one of the highest reported for vegetables.
• The fleshy base of the artichoke is perhaps the most enjoyably edible part of this oddly-shaped vegetable.
• You can find artichoke hearts that are packed in vinegar, oil or marinade and canned.
• They make for a great low sodium snack and lend themselves well to other snacks like artichoke dip, as well as a pizza topping.
• Toss them in the skillet for a savory sauté.
• They might just turn into a healthy addiction!
• California is known as the artichoke capital of the world. They supply nearly 100% of North American fresh artichokes.