Saturday, September 28, 2019
Each year on September 28 strawberry lovers get to enjoy their favorite fruit in the form of pie on National Strawberry Cream Pie Day. Fall in love with strawberries all over again with the Strawberry Cream Pie recipe listed below.
Strawberry cream pie can be made in many different ways. Some recipes use a custard or pudding base with strawberries either folded in or on top. Others are made with cream cheese or whipped cream. Whichever you prefer, strawberry cream pie is a delicious treat.
Five Food Finds about Strawberries:
• Strawberries are one of very few fruits that have seeds on the outside.
• The fruit (which is not a botanical berry) is widely appreciated for its characteristic aroma, bright red color, juicy texture, and sweetness.
• It is consumed in large quantities, either fresh or in prepared foods such as preserves, fruit juice, pies, ice creams, and milkshakes.
• The garden strawberry, Fragaria × ananassa, is a hybrid species that is cultivated worldwide for its fruit, the (common) strawberry.
• The garden strawberry was first bred in Brittany, France, in the 1750s via a cross of Fragaria virginiana from eastern North America and Fragaria chiloensis, which was brought from Chile by Amédée-François Frézier in 1714.
Strawberry Cream Pie
Prep Cook Yield
35 min 10 min 6-8 Servings
• 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked • 1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
• 1/2 cup sugar • 3 tablespoons cornstarch • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour • 1/2 teaspoon salt • 2 cups milk • 1 egg, lightly beaten • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1/2 cup crushed strawberries • 1/2 cup water • 1/4 cup sugar • 2 teaspoons cornstarch • 3 cups fresh strawberries, halved • Whipped cream, optional
1. Cover bottom of pie shell with nuts if desired; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir a small amount into egg; return all to the saucepan. Cook and stir until almost bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 1-2 minutes more (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and almond extract if desired. Cool to room temperature. Whip cream; fold into filling. Pour into pie shell. Chill for at least 2 hours. 2. About 2 hours before serving, prepare glaze. Combine crushed strawberries and water in a large saucepan; cook for 2 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir into the berries. Cook until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Strain. Cool for 20 minutes. 3. Meanwhile, arrange berry halves over filling; pour glaze evenly over berries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Friday, September 27, 2019
Across the country, folks enjoy a tall, frosty glass on National Chocolate Milk Day which is observed annually on September 27. In honor of the cake that is seriously life changing, I know, I know, that’s crazy talk, but this is truly a one shockingly good cake it's the Chocolate Milk Bundt Cake recipe listed below.
Reach for one of these healthy ingredients the next time your head is pounding.
When a headache strikes, you may run through your usual routine: Turn out the lights, lie down and pop a pain pill. But did you know that certain foods may ease, and even prevent, headaches? Add these soothing foods to your shopping list and find out for yourself.