Thursday, August 22, 2019
Each year on August 22, pecan lovers across the country participate in National Pecan Torte Day. There are toasted pecans in this all-in-one-bowl bittersweet Chocolate Pecan Torte recipe listed below.
A torte is a rich dessert filled with whipped cream, buttercream, mousse, jam, fruits or nuts. The baker will often glaze and garnish the torte once it is cooled. Generally made with little to no flour, tortes use ground nuts or breadcrumbs, along with sugar, eggs and flavorings instead.
Five Food Finds about Pecan Torte:
• If the body does not get enough zinc, it may have difficulty producing testosterone – a key hormone in initiating sexual desire in both men and women. Pecans provide nearly 10 percent of the recommended Daily Value for zinc.
• It would take 11,624 pecans, stacked end to end, to reach the top of the Empire State Building in New York City.
• Texas adopted the pecan tree as its state tree in 1919. In fact, Texas Governor James Hogg liked pecan trees so much that he asked if a pecan tree could be planted at his gravesite when he died.
• Albany, Georgia, which boasts more than 600,000 pecan trees, is the pecan capital of the U.S. Albany hosts the annual National Pecan Festival, which includes a race, parade, pecan-cooking contest, the crowning of the National Pecan Queen and many other activities.
• Pecan trees usually range in height from 70 to 100 feet, but some trees grow as tall as 150 feet or higher. Native pecan trees – those over 150 years old – have trunks more than three feet in diameter.
Chocolate Pecan Torte
Prep Cook Yield
15 m 25 m 12
• 1/4 cup toasted pecans • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour • 3 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped • 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder • 1 cup granulated sugar • 1/2 cup boiling water • 2 egg yolks • 1 tablespoon rum or bourbon • 4 egg whites at room temperature • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar • 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
1. Position rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round springform pan and line with parchment. 2. Pulse pecans with flour in food processor until finely ground. Set aside. In large bowl, combine chopped chocolate, cocoa, and 3/4 cup sugar. Add boiling water. Whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in yolks and rum. Set aside. 3. Combine egg whites with cream of tartar in mixing bowl. Beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in rest of sugar; beat on high until stiff but not dry. Whisk flour and pecans into mixture. Fold about 1/4 of egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in remaining egg whites. Scrape batter into prepared pan; level the top. 4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool in pan, on a rack. The cake will sink in the center. Slide a small knife around inside of pan to detach cake. Invert cake; remove pan and paper liner. Turn right side up on platter, or leave cake on pan bottom and place on platter. To serve, sieve on powdered sugar; top with Classic Whipped Cream, if desired.
Viewers of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills have finally turned on Kyle Richards -- accusing her of setting up the awkward face to face with Denise Richards and Brandi Glanville.
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
National Pecan Pie Day is observed each year on July 12. However, if you add some chocolate to this delicious dessert, you can celebrate National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day on August 20. Enjoy and share with your friends and family the delicious Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars recipe listed below.
Reach for one of these healthy ingredients the next time your head is pounding.
When a headache strikes, you may run through your usual routine: Turn out the lights, lie down and pop a pain pill. But did you know that certain foods may ease, and even prevent, headaches? Add these soothing foods to your shopping list and find out for yourself.