Thursday, October 10, 2019
The delicious, light and fluffy angel food cake is the center of attention on National Angel Food Cake Day which is observed each year on October 10. Check out the mouth-watering Mint Chocolate Chip Angel Food Cake recipe listed below.
Originating in the United States and first becoming popular in the late 19th century, angel food cake was so named because of its airy lightness. It was said to be the “food of the angels”. Making angel food cake requires whipping egg whites until they are stiff then adding cream of tartar to the mixture to stabilize the egg whites. Additional ingredients are then folded into the egg white mixture.
Five Food Finds about Angel Food Cake:
• Angel food cake is a type of sponge cake that is originated in the United States.
• It is named because of the cake’s lightness that was said to be the “food of the angels”.
• Angel food cakes are a traditional African-American favorite for post-funeral meals
• Angel food cake requires egg whites whipped until they are stiff, Cream of tartaris added to the mixture to stabilize the egg whites.
• A variety of chocolate cake known as Devil’s food cake, is considered as Angel food’s “counterpart”
Mint Chocolate Chip Angel Food Cake Recipe
YIELD: Servings 16
1 box Betty Crocker™ white angel food cake mix 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa 1 1/4 cups cold water 3 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened Chocolate-flavor syrup, if desired
1. Move oven rack to lowest position (remove other racks). Heat oven to 350°F. In extra-large glass or metal bowl, beat cake mix, cocoa and water with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan. (Do not use fluted tube cake pan or 9-inch angel food pan or batter will overflow.) 2. Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not underbake. Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool, about 2 hours. 3. Run knife around side of pan to loosen cake; remove from pan. Cut off top of cake about 1 inch from top; set aside. Cut down into cake 1 inch from outer edge and 1 inch from edge of center hole, leaving substantial "walls" on each side. Remove cake within cuts with curved knife or spoon, being careful to leave a base of cake 1 inch thick. Spoon ice cream into cake cavity; smooth top. Replace top of cake. Cover and freeze about 3 hours or until firm. Serve with chocolate-flavor sauce.
WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY
|Frederick Douglass Statue Ripped From its Base on Anniversary of his 1852 Anti-Slavery Speech|
Wednesday, October 9, 2019
National Moldy Cheese Day is a unique holiday that is observed each year on October 9. A cheesemonger is a person who specializes in cheeses, butter, and other dairy products. They may take offense at the common person’s offense of moldy cheese. So to not offend the cheesemonger bake these green cheese balls that look past their prime, but their "mold" is just an herb coating that adds to the flavor try this Moldy Cheese Balls recipe listed below.
Reach for one of these healthy ingredients the next time your head is pounding.
When a headache strikes, you may run through your usual routine: Turn out the lights, lie down and pop a pain pill. But did you know that certain foods may ease, and even prevent, headaches? Add these soothing foods to your shopping list and find out for yourself.