Not every mushroom is created equal. Crimini mushrooms might make perfect pasta toppers, but some species contain poisons that can kill.
The juicy, red fruit contains a poison, Glycoalkaloid, in its leaves, which is known for causing upset stomachs, severe cramping, and anxiety. So steer clear of the leaves and stems.
Pyrrolizidine alkaloids, poisonous toxins, are found in this sweet and sticky treat. If honey isn't pasteurized properly, eating it can lead to headaches, dizziness, weakness and vomiting - eating too much of it can be fatal.
This seed (no, it isn't actually a nut) may pack in many health benefits - but they are also potentially full of poison. Bitter almonds, while in their raw form, are full of cynaide. They need to go through a specialized heat treatment (more than just your DIY oven roasting) in order to remove the toxins.
The ballpark favorite is the leading cause of choking fatalities among children, so watch your little ones when they scarf 'em down.
Potatoes have both poisonous stems and leaves, but even so, potato poisoning is rare. Most potato-related deaths come from eating green potatoes, or drinking potato leaf tea.
One of the most common allergies is to peanuts. The most severe response is anaphylaxis, which can lead to severe constriction of the airways, shock, and even loss of consciousness. It is dangerous enough to cause death if left untreated, so know your allergies before stepping anywhere near these babies or their addictive friend, peanut butter.
Watch out for cherry seeds, which contain poisonous hydrogen cyanide.